US President Donald Trump ha said report about a possible deployment of 120,000 troops to the Middle East in order to counter Iran as fake news and expressed hope that such a plan won’t be needed.
The American president at the same time, also said he would absolutely send 120,000 troops more to the Middle East, or even more, if necessary.
He said, “Would I do that? Absolutely. But we have not planned for that. Hopefully we’re not going to have to plan for that. And if we did that, we’d send a hell of a lot more troops than that”.
Trump had on Monday said any attack on US interests in the region by Iran or its proxies would be “a very bad mistake”, warning that they would “suffer greatly” as a result of any aggression.
His comments came after two Saudi oil tankers were targeted in a rare “sabotage attack” off the coast of the UAE on Sunday morning. One of the two tankers was on its way to be loaded with crude for American customers.
Last week, Washington deployed new Patriot missiles to the Middle East and sent the USS Abraham Lincoln Carrier Strike Group and a bomber task force to the US Central Command region in the Gulf after reportedly receiving intelligence from Israel of an unspecified attack plan.
Iran has dismissed the US buildup as nothing but “psychological warfare”, saying that the US the US wouldn’t dare attack out of fear of Iranian retribution toward Israel.