A Nigerian Academic based in the United States, Professor Farooq Kperogi has revealed that President Muhammadu Buhari personally gave the order to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission to withdraw a corruption case against former Gombe State governor, Danjuma Goje.
It would be recalled that Goje is being investigated by the EFCC over alleged N25 billion fraud.
The unexpected withdrawal of EFCC came a day after Goje stepped down for Senator Ahmed Lawan in the race for the Senate Presidency.
SaharaReporters reported in an exclusive that Goje stepped down in an exchange that the charges of financial impropriety leveled against him by the EFCC be dropped on orders of President Buhari.
The President, who is leading a so-called ‘war against corruption’, struck the deal to enable the attorney- general of the federation take over the case in order to stall it and ultimately quash it.
Prof Kperogi in a series of tweets on his official twitter handle said, “I’ve just learned from someone who witnessed Danjuma Goje’s meeting with Buhari in Aso Rock that it was Buhari who PERSONALLY gave orders that Goje’s N25b fraud case be withdrawn. It was d condition Goje gave Buhari for supporting Ahmed Lawan for senate President.”
“I swear by the Holy Qur’an that this was what actually happened. Buhari is himself a fraudster and has always been, so this didn’t come to me as a surprise. I just pity the hordes of headless idiots who still think this old, duplicitous rogue embodies “integrity.”
The News Agency of Nigeria reported on the 7th of June 2019 in Jos that for almost eight years, the EFCC had been prosecuting the former governor until Friday.
The case, which is before Justice Babatunde Quadiri of Jos Federal High Court II, has even gone to the Jos Court of Appeal over the remaining two counts out of the 21 charges filed against him by EFCC.
The Appellate Court is yet to fix a date for the hearing of the appeal.
When the case came up for an emergency hearing before Justice Quadiri, the EFCC Counsel, Mr. Wahab Shittu, told Court that the agency was withdrawing from the case and handing it over the office of the Attorney-General for continuation.
“My Lord, this case was earlier adjourned for June 20 for the continuation of hearing, but then we are here today on the latest development on the matter.
“We as EFCC counsels are withdrawing from the matter and handing it over to the office of the Attorney-General for continuation with the prosecution.
“As you can see in court today is a State Counsel from the AGF’s office to formally take over this case from us,” Shittu declared.
Responding, Mr Paul Erokoro (SAN), did not object to the EFCC withdrawal and handing over of the case to the Attorney-General.
“My Lord, we do not object to the anti-graft agency’s withdrawal and handing over the prosecution to the AG’s office,” Erokoro said.
Mr Pius Asika, Counsel from the office of the Attorney General announced his appearance for the case.
Asika then applied for an adjournment to enable him to prepare for the case proper “having come into the matter today (Friday)”.
Justice Quadiri then adjourned to the case to June 21, 2019 for continuation of hearing.